- English Name : Bluestripe pipefish
- Local Name : Noorongu venu bandeyri
- Size : Max. 8 cm
- Family : Order : Specimen :
- SYNGNATHIDAE Gasterosteiformes MRS/0244/88
- Distinctive Characters: Dorsal fin with 21-29 rays. Body rings 17-19. Tail rings 13-17. Sub-dorsal trunk rings 3-5. Superior trunk and tail ridges discontinuous; inferior trunk ridge ending on anal ring; lateral trunk ridge continuous with inferior tail ridge.
- Colour: Bluish mid-lateral stripe on orange to reddish background and small fan like tail. Habitat and Biology: Occurs in reef crevices.
- Distribution: Indo-Pacific.
- Remarks: D. excisus abbreviatus is the Red Sea sub-species. The closely related Doryrhamphus bicarinatus has recently been recorded from the Maldives.