- English Name : Escolar
- Local Name : Rongu theyomas
- Size : Max. 2 m (standard length)
- Family : GEMPYLIDAE
- Order : Perciformes
- Distinctive Characters: First dorsal fin with 8-9 spines. Second dorsal fin with 16-18 rays, followed by 4-6 finlets. Anal fin with 1 or 2 compressed spines, 12-14 rays and 4-5 finlets. Pectoral fin with 15-17 rays. Body moderately elongate and slightly compressed. Caudal peduncle with large keel flanked by two smaller ones. Lateral line single, distinct and wavy.
- Colour: Body uniformly dark brown, becoming almost black with age.
- Habitat and Biology: Pelagic and oceanic. Found at depths of 200 m or more. Feeds on a wide variety of
fishes, crustaceans and cephalopods. Distribution: Warm oceanic waters of the world.
- Remarks: Like other Gempylids, Lepidocybium flavobrunneum is a moderately deep water fish. However, it does come up to the surface at night. Its flesh is very oily and causes stomach upset if eaten.